Current:Home > MarketsJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -ProfitPioneers Hub
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:10:48
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (62621)
Related
- 51-year-old Andy Macdonald puts on Tony Hawk-approved Olympic skateboard showing
- Rosalynn Carter, former first lady, dies at age 96
- Notable quotes from former first lady Rosalynn Carter
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 11: Unique playoff field brewing?
- Tropical weather brings record rainfall. Experts share how to stay safe in floods.
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 11: Unique playoff field brewing?
- Dissent over US policy in the Israel-Hamas war stirs unusual public protests from federal employees
- How to avoid talking politics at Thanksgiving? Consider a 'NO MAGA ALLOWED' sign.
- British golfer Charley Hull blames injury, not lack of cigarettes, for poor Olympic start
- Rosalynn Carter, former first lady, dies at age 96
Ranking
- Police remove gator from pool in North Carolina town: Watch video of 'arrest'
- Tributes for Rosalynn Carter pour in from Washington, D.C., and around the country
- George Brown, drummer and co-founder of Kool & The Gang, dead at 74
- More military families are using food banks, pantries to make ends meet. Here's a look at why.
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- Mother of teen killed during a traffic stop in France leads a protest against officer’s release
- Mixed results for SpaceX's Super Heavy-Starship rocket on 2nd test flight
- Tributes for Rosalynn Carter pour in from Washington, D.C., and around the country
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
French performers lead a silent Paris march for peace between Israelis and Palestinians
'Rustin' fact check: Did J. Edgar Hoover spread rumors about him and Martin Luther King?
3 major ways climate change affects life in the U.S.
RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
Senegal opposition party sponsoring new candidate Faye after court blocks jailed leader Sonko’s bid
Microsoft hires OpenAI founders to lead AI research team after ChatGPT maker’s shakeup
Russell Brand interviewed by British police amid claims of sexual assault, reports say